Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Repurpose/Cover Up

So, a couple months ago, we went to IKEA. This is an all day affair. Not only is it a couple hours to get there, the entire family goes, in-laws, aunts, cousins. It is crazy. Then you have to eat lunch there, you have to inventory the place, and then check out... have you seen the lines at IKEA?

Well while we were there, I found this super cute $14 duvet cover with matching pillowcases. I loved the fabric. When I put it on the bed, I hated it. It was nice, but it did not go with my "idea" of what I want my bedroom to look like. Then Mr. Smarty Pants himself, said, "Use it as fabric." I think this is his secret way of saying, he likes me sewing. Lets think about this, not only did he build me a wonderful place to sew, and work, now he is offering up fabric... either he is "sensitive" or supportive?

So, I did use it as fabric, I made a pillowcase dress for Dahlia, and then kinda forgot about it. Which brings us to our current day.

In my laundry room I have had the eye soar of the electrical panel box (see previouse posts for proof). I was not sure what to do with it. Scooter found an old cork board, and it covered it perfectly. Then the dilema is, what do you cover it with? The room is already very blue and white, with touches of black, so I felt it needed something else.
Then Mr. Smarty Pants again say, "What about that duvet cover?" He is amazing. So I seemed ripped that baby apart (during conference, it really helps keep you awake.) Then I put some batting around the board and covered it with the fabric, hung it up, and it is BEAUTIFUL.




I love it. I now can put all my orders up, and keep track of everything as well as not look at the electrical panel.

I also tried to applique. I made my own flowers, and did it up just like Jeanne said, and it worked. I think they turned out kinda cute.



So don't throw out your sheets, or other things, re-use them. I still have about 4 yards of fabric, and am thinking about some shirred sun dresses for the girls.

well I better get back to work. I need to finish a nightgown for Dandelion, and a couple purses need to be knocked out.

talk at you soon
--kelly

2 comments:

  1. So creative!! I would love to see the pillow case dress that you made. Next time you go to IKEA, (I know, 6 months to a year from now), :) let me know. We could meet you there, pick up your girls and they could come and play. We're only about 15 min. from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, for sure we will call you.

    ReplyDelete